At a Glance
A leading athletic retailer wanted to improve operational cost efficiencies while advancing analytics and creating a better customer experience. The retailer engaged with Credera to develop a proof of concept application that would utilise machine learning and augmented reality to identify a shoe and return product information. By leveraging deep learning models and augmented reality technology, the retailer and Credera created an application that reliably identified the product and developed a training model pipeline to quickly add new products.
Finding new ways to improve in-store customer service.
A leading athletic retailer wanted to improve their in-store customer experience. They approached Credera to develop a tool that would allow shoppers to identify products in-store and return additional product information to their mobile device without the need for a sales associate. By leveraging deep learning models and augmented reality technology, Credera was able to reliably identify a shoe and return relevant information.
Turning machine learning into a customer benefit.
- Leveraged Google Cloud Platform to build a scaleable machine learning environment, utilising docker to handle model and deployment dependencies.
- Performed various image wrangling techniques such as resizing, cropping, and rotation to boost overall training set size and improve generalisability.
- Utilised a two-model approach with Keras and Tensorflow 2.0 that utilised deep learning models YoloV3 and MobileNet2 to identify and classify each shoe, respectively.
- Developed both an iOS and Android augmented reality application that integrated the models to classify shoes on a mobile device.
- Architected a model training pipeline that would allow new products to be added to the model and continually trained upon.
Proving the value of augmented reality and machine learning.
Predicted the product correctly approximately 85% of the time when tested against our proof of concept shoe set.
CONTINUAL TRAINING PIPELINE ARCHITECTURE
Developed a model training pipeline that once operationalised would allow new products to be added to the model and dynamically trained on.
MACHINE LEARNING BEST PRACTICES
Coached their team on how to maintain a machine learning model and how to harbor a quality machine learning environment.
AUGMENTED REALITY ENABLEMENT
Demonstrated how augmented reality can be utilised with machine learning models and laid the foundation for further augmented reality development.